Coastal Bend College is taking steps to comply with Governor Greg Abbott’s Dec. 7 directive to all state agencies (including Institutions of Higher Education) to ban the video-sharing application TikTok from College-owned and issued devices and networks.
Effective immediately, all CBC employees are required to take the following actions in regard to College-issued devices:
- Cease all use of TikTok on College-issued devices* and, if you have not already done so, remove the TikTok app from any College-issued device in your possession.
- Cease posting to TikTok on College-sponsored** accounts.
- Refrain from downloading the TikTok app to a College-issued device.
- Remove all links to TikTok (web, app, or otherwise) from College-sponsored** web pages.
Additionally, the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Texas Department of Information Resources published a statewide model security plan to guide agencies’ compliance with the Governor’s directive. The College will work to enforce the following objectives, as outlined in the model plan:
- Ban and prevent the download or use of prohibited technologies, including but not limited to TikTok, on any College-issued device.
- Prohibit College employees and contractors from conducting College business on prohibited technology-enabled personal devices.
- Identify sensitive locations, meetings, or personnel within the College that could be exposed to prohibited technology-enabled personal devices. Prohibited technology-enabled devices must be prohibited from entering or being used in these sensitive areas.
- Implement network-based restrictions to prevent the use of prohibited technologies on College networks by any device.
- Coordinate incorporation of other technology providers into the plan, as necessary, including any apps, services, hardware, or software that pose a threat to the College’s sensitive information and critical infrastructure into this plan.
*College issued-devices include all College-issued cell phones, laptops, tablets, desktop computers, and any other device capable of internet access.
**A College sponsored account or website is any account or website owned and/or managed by the College or hosted on a College network.
You must log in to post a comment.