The Billing and Coding Specialist Program will be held online through Coastal Bend College beginning August 17. The tuition cost of the program is $1,086 plus textbooks.
The Texas Workforce Commission projects a 22% increase in employment in Texas by 2028 and a 21% increase for the Coastal Bend region.
Billing and Coding specialists are crucial to the health care industry. As a Billing and Coding Specialist, you will review and process medical claims to make sure insurance companies properly reimburse doctors and hospitals. You will maintain detailed health care records using a formal coding system. To do the job correctly, you will need to understand terminology for filing and appealing claims.
This program will prepare you for all those responsibilities by improving your computer and typing skills, your attention to detail and your organizational skills. It will also get you ready to find work in multiple areas, including hospitals, rehabilitation clinics, nursing homes and medical labs. As a Billing and Coding Specialist, you may perform some or all of the following tasks:
- Gather/review essential patient information
- Verify required documentation before patient information is released
- Prevent fraud/abuse by auditing billing
- Support coding and billing process
- Assign codes for diagnoses and procedures
- Submit claims for reimbursement
- Coach healthcare providers to achieve optimal reimbursement