This non-credit course is 100% online.
Become Lean Six Sigma Certified
This 100% online course will prepare you for the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and Balck Belt Certification.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a certificate of completion. In addition, you will be able to sit for the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification exams after successful completion of the course and financial obligation.
Job Outlook for Lean Six Sigma Professionals
The salary of certified Lean Six Sigma professionals varies widely depending on your years of experience and type of job you hold.
The overall national median salary of a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt is between $54,000 and $87,000 while Lean Six Sigma Black Belts earn a median salary between $66,000 and $117,000.
Lean Six Sigma FAQs
WHAT WILL I DO AS A LEAN SIX SIGMA GREEN BELT?
As a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt, you may lead quality improvement projects, or you may work under or in support of a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt for more complex projects. In this role, you will be responsible for defining, measuring, analyzing, improving, and controlling projects that affect quality. This may be your full-time role but sometimes, Green Belts work on quality improvement projects part-time in addition to their other roles within a company.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A LEAN SIX SIGMA BLACK BELT?
As a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, you will develop an even deeper understanding of the Lean and Six Sigma concepts and build upon what you learned as a Green Belt. This will most likely be your full time role, and you will be responsible for leading the team charged with undertaking a project to improve quality. You will plan and deploy the project, define and measure benchmarks and milestones, form and motivate your team, analyze progress and results due to process improvement, interpret and communicate risks, and develop control plans to maintain and sustain improvements made.
ARE THOSE WITH LEAN SIX SIGMA CERTIFICATION IN DEMAND?
Yes, demand for professionals with Lean Six Sigma certifications is high and continuing to rise not just in large corporations where we’ve seen these jobs historically but also in mid-sized organizations as well. In fact, many of the jobs with the highest salaries as well as highest increases in job openings in the United States are related to process improvement.
WHERE DO CERTIFIED LEAN SIX SIGMA PROFESSIONALS WORK?
Certified Lean Six Sigma professionals can work in almost any industry. Some of the more common industries for Lean Six Sigma jobs include healthcare, technology, retail, finance, hospitality, and government. Your work environment will depend largely on the industry in which you work, but you will work with closely with other people to improve processes and solve problems regardless of the industry you choose.
WHY IS LEAN SIX SIGMA SO IMPORTANT?
In our global economy, organizations constantly face rising costs of doing business and increasing competition in the marketplace. Lean Six Sigma principles and methodologies work to help organizations by streamlining processes to increase profit, cutting down on waste to decrease costs, improving effectiveness and efficiency to deliver more products and services, and providing ownership and accountability to help build effective teams.
I’M NEW TO LEAN SIX SIGMA. IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR ME?
Yes. You will find that this course starts from the ground up — laying a solid foundation of Lean Six Sigma terminology and concepts. Then after you gain a great foundation in Lean Six Sigma, you will move on to mastering more complex concepts that will provide a level of expertise that you can bring into almost any industry. You’ll be prepared to sit for your Green Belt and/or Black Belt when you complete the course and gain the necessary experience.
- Describe the Lean Six Sigma Improvement method known as DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control)
- Describe how to create a project charter, gather the voice of the customer, and build a high-level map of the process
- Describe how to conduct process analysis, conduct data analysis, and then brainstorm and validate root causes of process problems
- Identify which type of tests and control charts are appropriate for any given data set
- Understand how to construct an effective project storyboard
Prerequisites & Requirements
- To be successful in this course, it is strongly recommended that you complete your Black Belt project at your current place of employment.
- If you are currently unemployed, it is recommended that you take a Green Belt level course first.
- You must pass the Green Belt Certification to sit for the Black Belt certification exam.
- INTRODUCTION TO GREEN BELT TRAINING
Overview of Lean Six Sigma, the 8 Wastes (DOWNTIME), Lean Six Sigma Roles, Project Selection, and DMAIC overview
- DEFINE PHASE- HOW TO DEFINE THE PROBLEM Create the project charter (tool), understand the current state, and develop project communication
- MEASURE PHASE- HOW TO MEASURE THE CURRENT PROCESS
Select measures, plan for data collection and collect baseline data
- ANALYZE PHASE- HOW TO IDENTIFY THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM
Conduct process analysis, conduct data analysis, brainstorm root causes, develop root cause hypothesis and validate root cause hypothesis
- IMPROVE PHASE- HOW TO IMPLEMENT AND VERIFY THE SOLUTION
Craft solutions, filter solutions, determine solution approach and conduct risk management
- CONTROL PHASE- HOW TO MAINTAIN THE SOLUTION Create monitoring plans, develop response plans, document the project, and pursue perfection
- INTRODUCTION TO BLACK BELT TRAINING
Overview of Black Belt Training and project selection
- CERTIFICATION EXAM
Exam for the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and Balck Belt Certification
Tracy O’Rourke is a Master Black Belt with over 20 years of success helping organizations like the Department of Veterans Affairs, the State of Washington, Cisco, DC Shoes, GE, and Motorola learn and apply Lean and Six Sigma. Tracy is an accomplished facilitator, trainer, and presenter. She has a BA in English Literature from San Francisco State University and an MBA with emphasis in Leadership and Managing Organizational Change from Graziadio School of Business at Pepperdine University.
Elisabeth Swan is a Six Sigma Master Black Belt with over 20 years of experience consulting for organizations like Amazon, Charles Schwab, Burt’s Bees, Microsoft, and Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide. Swan is an accomplished consultant, designer, and executive coach with expertise in training, process-based organization design, problem-solving, and change management. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from Barnard College.