Medical Records Coding, AAS degree seeking students build upon a core of liberal arts courses to receive foundational knowledge concerning: human anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, and medical terminology. The student also receives knowledge concerning the health care delivery system in the United States, health care information and its management in the electronic health records [to include its privacy, confidentiality, and security], the reimbursement methodologies used and their related coding systems, especially those used for diagnostic and procedural coding related to billing, research, and quality assurance.
The Medical Records Coding Specialist program trains students to be proficient in performing such medical records functions as records analysis, information storage and retrieval, coding and indexing of diseases and operations, and release of medical information. Students will learn critical skills needed to work in the medical records department of a hospital, in ambulatory care facilities, mental health facilities, and long-term care facilities. Program content is based on AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) standards. Upon completion, students are eligible to sit for certification exams in coding including the CCS, CCS-P and CCA.
Program Cost & Highlights:
- A one to two-year program with an average class size of 10 students available at all CBC locations
- In addition to tuition and fees, students also invest about $300-$500 for course/lab fees and program materials
- Students have access to free tutoring, career services and a dedicated faculty advisor
- Financial aid and scholarships are available to those who qualify
- Median hourly wage in the Coastal Bend region is $18.83*
- Companies that have hired our program graduates include local hospitals, physicians’ offices community health clinics
- Our program prepares the student to sit for the Certified Coding Associate (CCA) credential Information Management Association (AHIMA)
*Data obtained from the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, Corpus Christi region, 2018.