The Coastal Bend College Dental Hygiene Program philosophy is to improve the oral health of all people and to empower them to maintain optimum oral health. The American Dental Association Accreditation Standards for Dental Hygiene Education are the foundation by which the program teaches students to effectively and ethically serve the public as oral health care professionals.
The Dental Hygiene Program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. An Associate of Applied Science degree is awarded upon satisfactory completion of the program and a passing score on the National Board Examination (Capstone).
Upon admission, a current immunization record including Hepatitis B vaccine, meningitis vaccine, and Tuberculin test is required. All dental hygiene courses (DHYG) must be taken in sequential order as listed in the dental hygiene curriculum. A minimum grade of 75 must be obtained in each course in order to progress and remain in the program.
Students completing the Dental Hygiene Program will be academically and clinically proficient at entry-level to perform the traditional functions legally delegated to the Dental Hygienist in the state of Texas. The program emphasizes the development of critical thinking and communication skills. In addition, students will learn what it means to adhere to a professional code of ethics as well as the importance of teamwork and personal and social responsibility. Students completing the program will be able to apply the standards for clinical dental hygiene practice, which include assessment, dental hygiene diagnosis, planning, implementation, evaluation and documentation of dental hygiene procedures.
Program Cost & Highlights:
- A two-year program with an average class size of 30 students at CBC Beeville
- Students gain hands-on experience by seeing patients at the dental hygiene clinic (1:5 faculty to student ratio)
- In addition to tuition and fees, students also invest about $1,100-$1,500 for uniforms and course materials
- Financial aid and scholarships are available to those who qualify
- Median hourly wage in the Coastal Bend region is $35.61*
- A few of the private dental practices that have hired graduates from the program are Dr. Elizabeth Shelton, DDS (Beeville); Dr. Roel Garza, DDS (Alice); and Dr. Larry Franke, DDS (Karnes City)
- 100% of 2019 program graduates passed their state board examinations
- Our program is fully accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation through 2026.
*Data obtained from the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, Corpus Christi region, 2018.