Administrative Assistant AAS degree seeking students will obtain industry driven training to effectively perform routine clerical and administrative duties in a modern office setting. Training will span many industries such as education, healthcare, government, educational and legal organizations. Graduates from the program will be competent and efficient in organizing files, drafting messages, managing correspondence, scheduling appointments and supporting other staff in an office environment. Students will have the opportunity to learn in-depth technical skills in computer applications, office communications, records management and administrative office procedures. At the conclusion of the program, students will be given then opportunity to become certified as Microsoft Office User Specialists in various areas of Microsoft Office, a nationally-recognized certification. Administrative Assistant is an articulated high school credit program. Students who have successfully completed appropriate courses in this degree in high school may be able to receive college credit for those courses.
Students will develop knowledge of the administrative assistant profession through activities that engage the student to focus on the technologically driven modern office environment. Students will participate in rigorous projects that require critical thinking, and simulations throughout the course of study to form critical thinking, communication, teamwork and personal responsibility aptitudes. Empirical skills will be integrated through accounting and computational activities along with stressing the importance of practicing personal and social responsibility in an office environment. Integration of these skills will be enhanced by on the job training through cooperative education opportunities that are part of the degree program. College credit is given to students who work in occupations that reflect an office setting. Practical experience is gained to strengthen or broaden their own preparation for employment.
Program Cost & Highlights:
- Course content focuses on all aspects of the Business Technology Administrative Assistant industry such as basic accounting principles, Microsoft Office certifications and overall knowledge of how to support staff in the office environment
- In addition to tuition and fees, students also invest about $300-$500 for course/lab fees and course materials
- Financial aid and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
- Employers that have hired our program graduates include Coastal Bend College, ENDyn Inc., and Hands Brothers Industries
- Jobs in the business technology administrative assistant industry are expected to grow by over 12% from now through 2022
*Data obtained from the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, Corpus Christi region, 2018.
Associate of Applied Science- Business Technology Administrative Assistant