Behind every building, pipeline, product, and process, there are models and drawings created by someone using the skills they learned in a drafting courses. Coastal Bend College’s drafting program focuses on the drawing techniques need to create three-dimensional objects and buildings as well as the math behind it.
Learning to be a skill drafter will help you translate ideas into precise drawings that detail materials, size, shape, and other descriptions. Currently, Texas employs the second most drafters in the nation and the highest average salary.
Our CBC drafting and design classrooms and laboratories feature AutoCAD, Microstation, and ArcGIS. Our 3D printer in our lab enables students to gain an understanding of how new products can be developed through all phases of design, drawing, and manufacturing.
To be a drafter, you must be accurate, be organized, be able to handle stress, be creative, be able to meet deadlines, and have great verbal skills. Since companies will trust you with their valuable ideas, you must also be able to show that you can be trusted with sensitive and confidential information.
- A one to two-year program at CBC Beeville with hands on experience including field trips
- In addition to tuition and fees, students also invest about $300-$500 for course lab fees and program materials.
- Students in the program have access to annual field trips to visit top employers in the industry from South and Central Texas.
- Financial aid and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
- Median hourly wage in the Coastal Bend region is $26.04.
- The following is a small sample of employers that have hired our program graduates: Ambitech, Bechtel, Danze & David Architects, ConocoPhillips, Fluor, Kiewit Offshore, Testengeer, Valero, and Worley Parsons.
- 90% of program graduates have obtained employment in the field or have pursued more advance degrees.
Are you ready to….
- Read blueprints
- Draw and make models
- Learn about manufacturing processes and materials
- Develop product specifications
- Use AutoCAD software
Please let us know by contacting us below and we will help you get on the path to becoming a drafter.
Certificate Level I-Drafting and Design (39 hours)
Certificate Level II-Drafting and Design (45 hours)